Internet Safety Basics and Discussion Starters for Children
- Posted by NetSmartz
Learn the basics of Internet safety
- Children use a variety of online services, and each of these services can have different safety concerns. However, there are some basic tips which you can employ no matter how your children use the Internet.
- Keep the computer in a high-traffic area of your home.
- Establish limits for which online sites children may visit and for how long.
- Remember that Internet technology can be mobile, so make sure you monitor mobile phones, gaming devices and laptops.
- Surf the Internet with your children and let them show you what they like to do online.
- Make sure you know who is connecting with your children online and set rules for social networking, instant messaging, emailing, online gaming and using webcams.
- Maintain continuous dialogue with your children about online safety.
- Start a discussion with your child
- What are your favourite things to do online?
- What is personal information? Why should you keep it private?
- What could you do to be safer online?
- What would you do if someone online asked to meet you face to face?
- Besides me, who do you feel that you can talk to if you are in a scary or uncomfortable situation?